>I am not usually a fan of surveys; they’re fun for the person doing the, but often, others don’t care to read the answers. This is a survey about food and cooking though; that couldn’t possibly be boring. Plus; I feel like it will give you a better idea of my taste in food.
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Almond. I keep trying to convince myself to buy soy; because it has more protein, etc; but Almond just tastes better.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
I’m not sure but winter squashes of several varieties will be involved. I’m also trying to eat more beans because I know i don’t eat nearly enough protein. (I haven’t had tofu…in months; and i very rarely consume vital wheat gluten, or beans for that matter. I’ve been a bad vegan.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
I like to pop corn on the stove in coconut oil; then top it with homemade chipotle parma
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
Any time I make seitan it’s a disaster. Every recipe I’ve tried has been nasty and looked, quite franklin, disturbing. I’m excluding vital wheat gluten sausages when I say this; btw.
5. Favorite pickled item?
OKRA!! Followed closely by Peaches. If you’ve never had a pickled peach; you’re really missing out.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
We haven’t met; but I’m not an organized person; I rely on google and the indexes of cookbooks…or I go through stacks and stacks of printed recipes. My husband organizes everything; but he hasn’t touched my recipes. GRR. (hahaha)
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Trash, but only if food is inedible; otherwise an animal or a friend gets leftovers.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
chickpeas, pizza (which totally counts as one food, shut up), and kale. But i would need condiments.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
fried apple pies, fried okra, creamed potatoes, corn bread. All made by my paternal grandmother.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
I find vegan ice cream to be mostly a giant failure. The So Delicious coconut milk cookie dough flavor is decent; and so is WholeSoy Chocolate Almond frozen yogurt; but really…I’ve given up on ice cream and moved on to sorbets.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
My food processor.
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Cumin or Chipotle Chili
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
How to be a Domestic Goddess (it’s not vegan; but it’s a great cookbook)
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Apricot or Pear
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Unhealthy Vegan Bacon with Pumpkin French toast. This bacon makes people change their minds about tofu.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
Thanksgiving, always. I love Thanksgiving.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
a giant silver mixing bowl full of onions, shallots and garlic.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Gardein Buffalo Tenders, Mango Sorbet, okra
20. What’s on your grocery list?
If I grocer shop this week; it will be for kale, spinach, garlic, tofu, apples, and field roast sausages. I dont’ really need to grocery shop except for the greens; I have to buy greens weekly.
21. Favorite grocery store?
Whole Foods, closely followed by Turnip Truck or Trader Joe’s
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
I’ve actually veganized all my family’s old recipes; so right now; I don’t have anything in mind.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Have Cake, Will Travel will forever be a favorite; I adore Celine and her imagination, and her love of sweets, and her ability to make sweets healthy. Mo Betta Vegan is also right up there in my top three; Mo just freaking rocks and she’s a food genius, and my food soulmate I think. Addicted to Veggies is another favorite; i mean…look how creative she is!
Honorable, non-vegan mention, because this girl is amazing and puts in vegan subs/suggestions when she doesn’t make something vegan; I HIGHLY Recommend The Sprouted Kitchen, not only for amazingly delicious healthy recipes; but because the photography is absolutely phenomenal.
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Locally made, but available everywhere now, Olive and Sinclair’s salt and pepper bar.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
Lobster Mushrooms. ($29.99/lb) and I’d do it again. I’ll probably buy some more this weekend…ha!